Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Make Your Own Detergent

Well, it is Works For Me Wednesday again and this time I actually have something to add.


I made my own laundry detergent and it really works!!


There are lots of recipes online for powder and liquid laundry detergent but I found a great recipe and explanation of how all of the components work here.


I made mine out of 1 cup of Borax, 1 cup of Washing Soda and 1 cup Fels Naptha soap shavings. I mixed up a big batch and started using it. I use 1/4 cup in each load.


It seems to work just as well as any other detergent and I actually like the smell of the Fels Naptha soap. It is a little strange not to see any bubbles or suds in the machine, but hey it works, so who cares.


I will warn you that I also tried to make my own dishwasher detergent. It does not work. It is horrible as a matter of fact. Everything came out scummy and with a film on it. See....

The glass on the right was washed in the homemade detergent and the glass on the left was washed in Cascade.

I used the 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda, 1/4 cup salt recipe and then put vinegar in my rinse agent dispenser. It still didn't help. It bothers me that there is no soap in the recipe...and the fact that it doesn't actually clean anything.


I've never wanted to handwash dishes so badly in mylife. I take that back....I've never wanted to handwash dishes in my life, until now. I'm so glad to have my good old generic Great Value dishwasher detergent back.

For more great ideas head over to WFMW at Rocks in My Dryer.

5 comments:

ames said...

Good to know about the dish detergent, my germophobe guy forbids me to even attempt it! I may have to try out the laundry detergent though, sounds like a winner!

Annie said...

Thanks for sharing about the detergent. I wanted to make the laundry soap but was afraid it wouldn't work.

I don't have a dish washer so no worries there!

Unknown said...

That's funny. We are on the same wave-length with the laundry detergent. Mine is two posts above yours! I make mine the same way.

Dianna said...

I'm glad you liked my recipe. I love it and am never going back!

Good to hear about the dishwashing soap. I was thinking of trying some, but maybe I'll do some more research first for a better recipe! I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the borax/washing soda combo.

Anonymous said...

Does your detergent work in front loaders?