Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pottery Hollow

A few weeks ago I tried a new activity in our area. I wanted to take the college student that I mentor out for a night of fun before we had to part for the summer. We joined up with another mentor/student pair and headed to Pottery Hollow.

Pottery Hollow is a really cool place where you buy plain, cream colored bisque (pottery) and then use their paints, brushes, etc. to paint and decorate your piece. They have hundreds of cool pieces to choose from and actually that is the hardest part of the whole experience. They've got travel mugs, platters, plates, bowls, coffee cups, pitchers, vases, picture frames, piggy banks, all manner of figurines and statues, and lots of funky shaped decorative pieces too.

I chose something called a Triple Swoop Platter which cost $15 and looked like this.


The staff at Pottery Hollow kindly showed us how to pick patterns and designs from their idea books. They also showed us how to layer the paints for a better color. Then they turned us loose to use all of their supplies. (We paid a $1 supply fee per person for this priveledge because we went on a Monday. Normally the supply fee is $8.)

After 2 hours of painting we left our pieces behind so that they could be glazed and fired by the professionals at Pottery Hollow. When I went back yesterday to get my finished platter I was amazed. It was so shiny and bright and beautiful.



Can you believe it?

It was so fun and it turned out so well that I want to go again soon. I think I'm going to take Cainan there for a final fling before he heads off to school in the fall.
Now I have to figure out how to use the Triple Swoop Platter. I almost want to hang it on the wall it is so PRETTY! I definitely don't want to put food on it.

3 comments:

Tia said...

I did something like this in college, I still use my little jewelry box! I loved it!

Kari said...

Love these places...make great party places. :O)

Christina said...

Ooooh, I want to go! That looks like it would be fun for any age.