Friday, January 23, 2009

The LOST Books Challenge


I've recently joined my very first challenge!


Apparently a lot of avid readers also really enjoy watching LOST. They are particularily enthralled with finding literary references within the show.


Many times real books are being read by characters on the show or they appear on the bookshelves in different locations on the show. Other times the title of a well known book (A Tale of Two Cities, for instance) is actually used as a title for an episode and sometimes different literary works are referred to by characters through their dialogue on the show.


Anyway the LOST Books Challenge encourages participants to read at least 5 of the books mentioned, or alluded to, on the show between the first episode and the finale of this season. The list of books is long and distinguished and I had already read several of them....but here are the five that I chose to read in the next 4 months.


The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky: It's a classic that I've never had time to read (or never been required to read by a college professor) and I know a friend of mine that just read it, so I thought I'd give it a try. This is my most ambitious selection.


The Coalwood Way by Homer Hickam: I loved the movie October Sky and I've seen it several times. I am thrilled to read a book written by the real life Homer Hickam. I might even get Brian to read this one with me.....what am I saying?....maybe he'll let me read it aloud to him.


Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie: I like Christie's novels and this happens to be one I haven't read. Easy choice.


Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck: I recently read "The Grapes of Wrath" and didn't particularly like it that much so people have been telling me to give Steinbeck another shot and try Of Mice and Men. That's what I'm doing.


The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares: Hey, what's the point of a challenge if you don't challenge yourself? I've never heard of this book or the author, but the story line sounded interesting so I chose it. A total wild card.


If you want to join the LOST Books Challenge....or you just want to see the list of books that have been referenced on the show....you can go here.


Of course I'll review all of the books I read and keep you posted on my progress in the challenge.


Now I promise not to post anymore about LOST until next Thursday. Cross my heart!

No comments: