Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Dry Dilemma

I'm a victim of my own success.

The kids loved the macaroons so much that now Ryker wants me to make some for his birthday this weekend, in lieu of cake.

He wants four different flavors......and colors.

Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but macaroons need to be dry, dry, dry. That means no liquid flavorings or colorings can be added. I have some powder food coloring left over from my cake decorating days, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I can add cocoa powder to the recipe to make chocolate ones and I have some powdered chai flavoring I'm going to use on another batch. They loved the cinnamon macaroons so I'm going to make those again too, but how do I make a strawberry flavored macaroon without using anything even remotely liquid?

For the fillings I think I'll try a vanilla buttercream in the chocolate macaroons, a pumpkin filling of some sort in the chai macaroons and chocolate ganache in the cinnamon ones again. If I can't get the macaroons flavored strawberry maybe I can make a plain vanilla macaroon and make the filling strawberry somehow.

Any ideas?

1 comment:

Deena said...

My first thought was strawberry Quik. It's sweet, so I don't know if that would affect it's usefulness?