Thursday, February 15, 2007

Seven Year Old Philosophy

Apparently Ryker, at only 7, is quite the philosopher. We didn't realize it because he doesn't give us any of his theories, he tries them out on Cainan instead. This is a smart move on his part because Cainan already blindly follows everything Ryker tells him. So it should come as no surprise that we learned of Ryker's latest theories about good and evil through Cainan.

One day just before nap Cainan got in big trouble. I don't remember what he did but I got on to him big time and sent him straight to bed. Two hours later when he got up I had forgotten all about it but as soon as he came down stairs he said, "You shouldn't have been bossy to me before my nap." I explained that he had misbehaved and why he had gotten trouble, etc. etc. "But that is a heart going out," was his reply. What??? I had no idea what he was talking about. After a very convoluted discussion with Cainan, I found out that Ryker had been teaching him that when you do good things that Jesus likes it means your heart is going in and when you do bad things that Jesus doesn't like it means your heart is going out.

When Ryker got home I questioned him about the hearts and their positions. He was very embarrassed and didn't want to talk about it. He said, "I don't even think it's right. I just kind of thought of it by myself." I assured him that he was on the right track and any type of illustrations he could give that would help Cainan down the path to obedience would be greatly appreciated. So now we get lectured on the hearts going in and out pretty often...mostly from Cainan.