Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm a Loser


Well, the results are finally in!

Drumroll please......................................................

I came in 4th in our local Biggest Loser contest.

I lost 5.32 % of my body weight between March 1st and April 1st, but that wasn't enough to bring home the prize

Did I mention that the prize was $90. Yeah, $90. You can see why I was motivated enough to lose 9 pounds in one month.

I was defeated by a guy that lost 20 pounds (6.79%), a woman that lost 6.56%, and another woman that lost 6.07%. All in all I felt like I did pretty well and was pretty proud of my effort.

So, how did I do it?

WORKOUTS:

Monday: Jog 2 miles or do TurboKick routine
Tuesday: Jog 2 miles, Walk 2 miles while watching the real Biggest Loser
Wednesday: Bootcamp (a special kind of aerobic and strength training torture)
Thursday: TurboKick routine
Friday: Jog 2 miles
Saturday: TurboKick
Sunday: Jog 2 miles, if possible

FOOD: I stick to the Weight Watchers point system. Here are some of my typical menu choices.

Breakfast: The key with breakfast is to get that fiber in there. I read that the ideal breakfast would be eggs, whole wheat toast and canteloupe. I don't have time to do eggs in the morning and canteloupe isn't in season around here so I make do with what I can get.


High Fiber Cereal
Mini Whole Wheat Bagel with Peanut Butter
Fiber One Bar and Banana
Homemade Granola Bar and Apple

Lunch: I need to eat something that will fill me up throughout the long afternoon hours when I have most of my free time (nap time, ya know). Making sure I have lots of protein and fiber really helps. If I have only a salad I won't make it. If I add grilled chicken to the salad or have a fruit with some peanut butter or some high fiber crackers with the salad I can make it a lot longer.

Salad and Apple with Peanut Butter
Two Fried Eggs and Banana
Turkey Sandwich on Whole Wheat, Mini Rice Cakes, Raw Veggies

Supper: Really, for supper I don't always make a super healthy meal, but whatever I make I eat very small portions. It's ok to have Tuna Helper ocasionally (especially when it is on sale for $1 a box), but I only eat 1 cup of it. If the kids want pizza I make my own whole wheat crust and then I can control the toppings too.

Grilled Chicken Breast, Green Beans, Quinoa
Black Beans and Rice
Chicken Stir Fry over Brown Rice
Baked Tilapia, Peas and Couscous

Snacks: The key here is to eat only the recommended portion size. I eat 17 All Bran crackers. Never more. That way I know exactly how many points (calories, fiber and fat) I'm consuming.

All Bran Crackers
Raw Veggies
Apple or Banana with Peanut Butter
Rice Cakes
Dry Cereal
String Cheese
Grapes

The Secret Weapon: WATER!!

I drink at least, a minimum of 64 oz. per day. When I'm working out really hard and it's hot, even more. Yes, I am in the bathroom all the time, but every time I go I just imagine all of the fat just flowing out of my body with no effort from me at all. I know that isn't an accurate picture of what is going on biologically but it helps me not get frustrated with my constant trips to the restroom.

Big Tip #1: WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY

Do not wait until the end of the week to weigh yourself. If you weigh yourself every morning as soon as you get up you will be able to tell how successful you were the day before. If you wait until the end of the week you won't know which day, which meal, which event set you back. If you get up one morning and suddenly weigh one pound more than you did yesterday then you'll know not to eat the same things or step up the exercise or whatever today.

Big Tip #2: STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOOD

Making "Hamburger Helper" on your own isn't as healthy as having grilled fish and baked squash but it is still twice as healthy as eating the stuff that comes out of the box. Use whole ingredients so that you know exactly what is in your meal. Keep the chemicals and preservatives out of your body.

Whatever you decide to do stick with it and get a group together to keep you accountable (and/or provide you with some prize money). My husband also joined the challenge and he came in 8th out of 18 participants. We are looking forward to bringing home the prize this month!!

That's what is working for me this Wednesday. For more tips head over to We are THAT Family.

5 comments:

flowerpot said...

Good for you! Keep it up! Perseverance pays off. I'm working on my last 20 pounds. It seems forever. :)

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Well done! I'm trying to get back into a fitness routine myself, so I admire your dedicated schedule there even more... :P Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Way to go. That is excellent 9lbs is one month, wow!

Thank you for the tips, I am trying to lose weight as well, and snacking is the hardest thing for me. When I get home for work I just want to grab something, and it usually isn't fruit, ugh.

Deena said...

Yay. :) I'm happy for you. I just am not that committed to weight loss right now. I have tried, but it's really HARD. :D

Jenny Girl said...

Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself. Keep up the good work.