Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Let the Master Teach You How to Multiply



My sister got Ryker, my 9 year old, Yahtzee for his birthday. He had never played the game before, but he was eager to try it.

That first night we played it three times because he loved it so much...and so did my 5 year old....well for that matter so did my 2 year old, but for different reasons. She's in to anything that involves making lots of noise and thowing small objects.

Anyway, Ryker was really getting into it and starting to catch on to the stategy. The longer we played the more self sufficient he became, and I realized that he was learning something even more important than game strategy. He was really learning his multiplication tables. He started out by asking me what his score would be for 3 sixes and when I stopped answering he resorted to adding 6 plus 6 and then using his fingers to figure out what 6 more was, but after a while I heard him shouting out, "4 fives. That's 20 points."

Since that first night we've played three more times and he's got the multiplication tables 1 thru 6 down pat. If he can just remember what a full house and a large straight are then he'll be a Yahtzee expert...just like me.

Umm....actually I've come in dead last in all 6 games we've played so far. Yes, even behind the 5 year old. I've never been a strong math person, but really, this is ridiculous. Maybe I'll hit my stride when we play with the whole family over Thanksgiving Break...or at least maybe I won't completely embarrass myself. No trips to Vegas for me, that's for sure.

Using Yahtzee to teach the multiplication tables work for me. For more great Works For Me Wednesday tips go to Rocks In My Dryer.

3 comments:

Harmony said...

Thanks so much for the idea! My 10yr. old struggles with math and especially his multiplication tables. I've been trying to think of a way to get him to learn some that is fun and this is an amazing idea! I used to play Yatzee with my mom as a kid but I hadn't thought of that! Thanks so much!!!!!

Sarah Mae said...

I look forward to reading your post on Friday!

I haven't played Yatzee in so long! I guess I better brush up on my skills before my kiddos are "of age" to play it - there only 1 and three now! :)

Jill said...

So glad he's liking it! We got his sweet message on the phone. Looking forward to seeing you soon.