Thursday, November 13, 2008

Another Blow to My Self-Esteem

Every Monday I volunteer at the elementary school. I alternate between Ryker's 3rd grade class and Cainan's Kindergarten class.

In Kindergarten I usually sit in the back of the room and call the kids back individually for some special one on one instruction. Depending on their level, I drill them on letter identification, sight words, rhyming sounds, etc.

This week I was helping a very cute little girl read a simple story. I read the story and then she would echo back after me, pointing to the words as we went. When we finished the story I said, "Great job reading. Can you please tell Will to come back to see me now?"

And her reply was, "You remind me of my grandma.....that died, " and then she scampered off to find Will.

Aaaaaaaaaagh!!! Blast you, forehead wrinkles!

3 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

When I was teaching kindergarten and preschool I was frequently reminding myself that it was a good thing my ego wasn't wrapped up in the whole teaching gig. Come to think of it, I'm glad my ego isn't wrapped up in the whole mommy gig either.

Tia said...

Thanks for making me laugh. You do look great though, i don't care what a kindergardener says. :)

Deena said...

She probably just meant you were really nice and helped her. :)