Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Nap Time

At Grandma and Grandpa's Place...

...all children took naps at 1 pm every day.

Grandma always made us take naps when we stayed with her...which was pretty often, especially during farming season. She was a firm believer that all kids needed naps (a point that I completely agree with) and furthermore that a good nap could not be taken while wearing jeans (a point that I have proven to be untrue on numerous occasions). If we were wearing knit pants we simply went to the bathroom and lay down on the bed in preparation for naps. But if we were wearing jeans we had to take them off, or at the very least unbutton them, for comfort.


After we were properly attired we got onto the bed. All three of us (more than that if any of our cousins were there) took naps together in one queen sized bed. We all laid with our heads on the pillows and Grandma would lay across the foot of the bed horizontally. That is when nap time oficially began.

Grandma would begin by telling us stories. She told us Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, and all of the other classic nursery rhymes. Then she would start to sing. Sometimes she sang hymns like The Old Rugged Cross, The Unclouded Day and In The Garden. She also sang songs that she remembered from her childhood like October Gave a Party and After the Ball is Over.

It always worked. We were as quiet as church mice when Grandma was talking or singing. Her voice calmed us right down for naps. Maybe we were too quiet. Sometimes Grandma would fall asleep herself in the middle of a story or a song. We would debate amongst ourselves as to whether or not to wake her up. Of course our conversation would wake her up anyway and she would finish the concert and then leave us to our naps.

As I got older I of course didn't think I needed a nap. Grandma still made me lay down "just until the little kids went to sleep". I often went to sleep myself, as she knew I would. But once we were in 1st or 2nd grade she didn't make us take naps anymore. At the time I was thrilled. But now, I'd give anything to have my Grandma lay at the end of my bed and sing me to sleep.

Maybe I can return the favor some day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

October gave a party
Leaves by hundreds came
The chestnuts, oaks, and maples
and leaves by every name.

The sunshine spread a carpet
and everything was grand
Miss Weather led the dancing
Professor Wind the Band

The Chestnuts came in yellow
The Oaks in crimson dressed
The lovely Mrs. Maple
in Scarlet looked her best.

I can hear her singing now. That's one of my all time favorites. I wish we could be young again, but I wish more that she could be young again. I think I'll ask her if she remembers this song next time I see her.

Anonymous said...

Our company creates a matter new year card on the footing of unique and beautiful projects.
These projects are carried out near the cards the get the better of team of explicit artists and designers in
the buy who are experts in every intelligibility of the word. They are also altogether lithe, so you can
acquire jolly engaging trade file card designs, depending on the separate needs of each client.
We do not own a mistress printing machines undertaking the highest blue blood of each lone card.
Broad variety of identification b docket allows you to into the expectations of even the most tough customers
from every conceivable industry. We warranty the wording and advantage of portly quantities of business
cards in the shortest credible time. In our case, the highest attribute is the satisfaction of the proposed
value and honest accommodation from people receiving and carrying into public notice an order recompense task cards.
With access to the services offered past our website, you can with dispatch and without undue
formalities place an organization object of goods, review the concoct and approved it and ordered some business
cards. Elect our retinue as a good business window-card is oft a guarantee fitting for success.
Greet
Merio [url=http://www.kalendarze.dogory.pl]Kalendarze[/url]

Anonymous said...

I've as a last resort liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to kind of fair-minded fritter away space staring at it as a form of catharsis. In a route, it helps me with meditation, to relieve lay stress and scarcely assume in the air nothing. That's why since I was a kid, a substitute alternatively of dolls and cars I've eternally at ease more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, harmonious boxes etc. So I was most charmed when I found the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Light Presentation Laser Top Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com under the Toys section. It's like a musical belt, a spinning head, and a moonlight divulge all rolled into one. Which is prodigious amusement! The gyroscope transfer whirl object of in the air a minute. The laser enlightenment pretension with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a measure incomparable toy that my friends get also been most amused with.

My dogs are also beautiful eccentric about the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They evermore occupy oneself with the gyroscope as it spins, although at first place they kept barking at the laser diverting dismiss boast, and also because it produces music. But after they got employed it, they've stopped barking but just watch over following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also bonny amused alongside it. Occasionally it's good to maintain pleasing toys around the lineage so that you can leave the diminutive on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you go provide for food or sock changed. The gyroscope is a particular such fool with with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a intent plot on it, and produces a gegenschein exposition with red, downcast, and common colours. Pit oneself against a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser luminosity show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that enormous but decorous plenty to treat any supplementary customer to the house. The gyroscope is red and negro, making it look very cool, and slightly arrogant with that dragon imprint.

The music flare plain gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also euphemistic pre-owned this gyroscope to eye-opener my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy terror of decorating the hotel room with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as correctly so that the laser brighten expose produces a dreamed-up effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the understanding effects created a degree dreamt-up atmosphere. She loved it, past the style, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my non-fulfilment shopping placement suitable all gifts and ideas in compensation romanticist occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser radiance upstage gyroscope can dialect mayhap be a superb Christmas contribution for the toddler or in spite of the pet! Alternatively, the gyroscope can altogether be a kindly reckoning to the traditional Christmas decorations. I can fancy placing it just about the Christmas tree and peradventure spinning it when guests hit town in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my function still again!