Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Halloween

Sadly, gone are the days when I could pick out my kids' Halloween costumes. No more themed costumes for us. They all have their own ideas and they don't know the word compromise. So I just let them dress up however they want and try to enjoy it.


This year Ryker decided to go as Darth Vader. Luckily a friend had made a big black cloak for her son a few years ago. We added a mask we had and some black clothes and Voila! it was the mighty Sith himself.


Cainan had been planning for months to be Noah...of Noah and the ark. He wanted me to make a cardboard ark for him to pull around with him. When I told him that wasn't going to happen had decided to be Indiana Jones instead. (I thought he had already been IJ once, but I was mistaken. That is what he dressed up as for his birthday party, not Halloween. Silly me.) So we bought a hat on clearance at a Halloween store and planned for him to wear some khaki pants and a leather jacket. Then on Oct. 30th he decided he would stick with Noah.




At least I had all of the costume components at church so it wasn't a big deal to do a last minute switch. He spent the whole night complaining that everyone thought he was Moses. Seriously, how can you tell one bearded guy in a dress carrying a staff from another one? He was sensitive on that topic, however.


Kinley wanted to be Ariel, the Little Mermaid. I planned to make her a cute little fish tail dress. I was really looking forward to it....BUT....in a moment of weakness alone in the store with her, Brian bought her a pre-made Belle from Beauty and the Beast costume. You know the kind made of really cheapo fabric that lasts about 3 days? Before Halloween night I had to stitch up 4 different places on it. I was disappointed that I wouldn't get to make her a costume (of better quality) but it was a very low stress Halloween because I didn't have any sewing to do.

Of course they all got lots of candy and had fun painting pumpkins for the contest at school too.Ryker took a snake gourd and painted it as a snake.


Cainan took an apple gourd and painted it as an apple with a worm coming out of it. (Aren't we original?)And what else would a princess wanna-be do with a pumpkin? She painted it gold and glued jewels all over it.


Now our favorite holiday of the year is over and we are already planning our costumes for next year. I'm not going to start sewing quite yet, though. I have a feeling that opinions may change over the next 360 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cutest kids every!!!