Ryker's birthday was this weekend. (I can't believe he is 10 already.) And as always, we can't just have cake. We have to have some kind of fabulously indulgent dessert. This year Ryker chose "Mom's Special Occasion Ice Cream Cookie Dessert", which I prefer to call "The World's Biggest Ice Cream Sandwich".
It is basically an ice cream sandwich made in a 10 inch springform pan. You layer chocolate chip cookies, walnuts, homemade chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream to make a very scrumptious...and very rich dessert.
All of our guest loved it and several asked for the recipe. More importantly Ryker loved it. So I give you, "The World's Largest Ice Cream Sandwich".....
1 batch of chocolate chip cookies, baked according to pkg directions for bar cookies
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 T. melted butter
1 T. brown sugar
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup semi sweet morsels
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate baking bar
2 T. butter
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
1. Bake cookies and let cool completely.
2. Chop cooled cookies into small pieces.
3. Combine walnuts, melted butter and brown sugar in an 8 x 8 square pan. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Stir well. Cool completely.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine evaporated milk, chocolate morsels, confectioners sugar, baking bar and butter. Cook over med-low heat, stirring occasionally until chocolate is melted. Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
5. Spread one third of cookie crumbs onto bottom of 10 inch springform pan. Top with 1/2 of the ice cream and half of the chocolate sauce.
6. Combine remaining cookies with walnuts. Spread half of cookie/walnut mixture over chocolate sauce in pan. Top with remaining ice cream.
7. Reserve two tablespoons chocolate sauce. Pour remaining sauce over ice cream layer. Top with remaining cookie/walnut mixture.
8. Drizzle with reserved chocolate sauce.
This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays and Tuesdays at the Table.