Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hushpuppy Help

We recently had a good ole Ohio River catfish fry. It was as delicious as always.

I made hushpuppies to go with the fish. I used the recipe straight from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Complete Guide to Country Cooking by Taste of Home. They turned out beautifully.

They were perfectly golden brown on the outside and nice and moist on the inside. (I had a pic but had to delete it when my memory card was full. Christmas pics take priority over deep-fried bread.) They even had that kinda round, typical hushpuppy shape.....but they were a little bland.

They basically tasted like hunks of plain cornbread....and not even the good kind with lots of sugar. They need something. Some kind of spice. Some kind of kick. A little flavah.

Here is the recipe I used. Any suggestions on what I should add to improve the taste?

Hush Puppies

2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

In a bowl combine dry ingredients. Add egg, milk and sour cream; stir just until moistened. In a deep fat fryer heat oil to 375. Drop batter by spoonfuls into oil. Fry until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly. Yield: 12-15 servings

4 comments:

The Desperate Cook said...

Hmmmm your recipe sounds good to me, although mine is a little different. Go check out my blog and scroll down under the fried fish is the hush puppies. These are the sweet ones that we serve with honey as an appetizer. Hubs loved them.

Check out my blog for a Christmas in July Giveaway.

Anonymous said...

I'd try throwing in a little cajun seasoning just for some kick.

Sharon said...

Yumm!! Gotta try it! I don't care for fish much but I'll eat my weight in hushpuppies! ACK!! :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh, that cajun seasoning idea looks good. I love hushpuppies. Hope you get some good ideas to help with your hushpuppy dilemma.