Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy LABOR Day!

I've never participated in a meme (sounds like 'dream') before, but this one was sent to me and sounded fun. So in honor of Labor Day.....

How long were your labors?

Ryker: 8 hours
Cainan: 12 hours*
Kinley: 2 hours

*My doctor had another looooooong surgery to perform before he could get to me so he kindly asked the nurses to turn off my pitocin and let me "rest"...doctor code for wait for 8 hours.

How did you know you were in labor?

The doctor said, "We're going to induce you today," and they plugged in the pitocin.

Where did you deliver?

St. Luke's Hospital in Chesterfield, Missouri....I highly recommend it....although when I had Kinley they had no air conditioning...so maybe avoid going into labor immediately after city wide power outages.

Drugs?

ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!*

*Except for #3. When you give birth 17 minutes after your water breaks there really isn't time for an epidural. The last words I said before I started screaming incoherently were, "I'm not doing this without an epidural!!!!" I guess I was wrong.

C-section?

Nope...I'm really good at dilating. I've made it to 5 cm without noticeable contractions and while going about my daily life none the wiser every time. (Contractions somehow always eluded me though. I've never had one that wasn't pitocin induced. Weird, huh?)

Who delivered?

Dr. Houck*

*Except with Kinley. She was delivered by the first nurse, or resident, or orderly that got to my room after I let out a blood curdling scream as she came zooming into this world. I have no idea who it was. Someone very fast.

So yes, I gave birth in a plain old bed, in a room with no air conditioning or lights, without any anesthetic, and without a doctor. How very pioneer of me. Brian just wishes he would have remembered to bring the stick for me to bite down on.

If you want to play along with this meme, just cut and paste the questions into your own blog, then go to Rocks in My Dryer and leave your link.

No comments: