Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Black Beans and Rice

In an effort to drop a dress size by Easter I am back to my dieting ways. All of my exercising allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want and maintain my weight but I can't lose any weight (or inches) just by exercising. So it's back to counting points (Weight Watchers) and avoiding carbs....for the most part.

With this in mind I am posting one of my favorite Weight Watchers meals today: Black Beans and Rice. It is really delicious, easy to make and only 9 points per serving. That's pretty good for an entire meal.

Black Beans and Rice (Source: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook)

4 tsp. olive oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/2 c. water
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups cooked brown rice

In a medium nonstick pan, heat the oil. Saute the bell pepper, onion and garlic until very soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, oregano, pepper sauce and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.

Stir in cilantro and season with the salt and pepper; discard the bay leaf. Serve over the rice.

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays and Tuesdays at the Table. Check there for more great recipes.

1 comment:

Live.Love.Eat said...

This sounds wonderful. If I add some chicken to it my hubs will feast on it for days!!!!