Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Day Has Come

It finally happened.

Kinley decided she was afraid of the dark.

It has happened with all of my kids right around this age. I guess she's right on target.

All three of my kids have slept in pitch black rooms with their doors shut from birth onward. They've never had nightlights or doors cracked open or even curtains open. They've never slept in a bassinet in our room or in a crib anywhere except in their very own bedroom.

But when all of them have been somewhere around 3 years old they have decided that suddenly they are afraid. I guess they get wise to the ways of the world and lose a tiny bit of their innocence. They become aware of the scary things that are said to be out there in the dark and they want some light.

Last night, for the first time ever in her existence, Kinely slept with a night light. She slept just fine and it was no big deal. Just another milestone that I had forgotten to expect.

Now that I think about it I'm sure that in a few months she'll be asking for us to leave the door open too. Yet another sign that she is growing up.

No comments: