Thursday, February 21, 2008

Weeeeeeee!

We had our first Wii experience last week. A friend came over for the day and brought one with her. The kids had SO MUCH fun! They played tennis, baseball, and bowling for hours on end. I even gave it a try. Of course my 8 year old creamed me at tennis, but I did beat him in bowling (which would probably never happen outside of the virtual world, I’m a terrible bowler). Brian and I have always been sort of anti-video game. We do own a Super Nintendo and about 6 games, 3 of which actually do work if you blow into them enough times, but we’ve always just wanted our kids to play with real life toys instead (especially considering the fact that we are drowning in them around here)! But I’ve got to say, that really is a terrific device. It combines video games and physical activity…it’s genius. It also teaches all of the rules and intricacies of the different sporting events. I mean, how many 4 year olds know how to score a tennis match? I don’t even know how to score a tennis match! (I do know that “adv” stands for “advantage”, not “advanced” as Ryker claims. “Oh look, I’m advanced!”) The only drawback is that you end up using muscles that you haven’t used in a while. My shoulder and knees actually ached at the end of the day, and I wasn’t the only one. As Ryker told a friend, “I played tennis on a Wii. I played bowling on a Wii. I played baseball on a Wii. I destroyed my arm on a Wii.” Anyway, I don’t think we are going to rush out and buy one, but it sure was fun to have around on an unexpected snow day.

1 comment:

Deena said...

We got a Wii for Christmas this year. Not all the games are so physical. They are fun though, as it adds new ways to interact on the game. (And hubby figured out fairly quickly how to trick the sports game into thinking you were actually moving the way it wanted, without all the actual movement. go figure.)