Wednesday, December 6, 2006

My pants are falling off!

It has probably been approximately 20 years since I was last afraid that my pants might fall down in public. But, actually that would have been the 80's and everyone's pants were plenty tight enough back then to relieve any of those fears. So I guess I have actually never worried about losing my britches until last night. I was wearing my fat jeans, also consequently the most comfortable pair I own, while directing a rehearsal for our Christmas musical. I had my cell phone in one pocket and the battery pack for my wireless mic (so I can yell at the cast when they miss a line or an entrance :)) in the other. I was seriously wising I had a belt! I had to keep one hand on the belt loops at all times as I walked around putting out fires, not literally thankfully, on the set. This may seem like no big deal to most of you but to someone (me) who has been fat for the last 7 years it is a very big deal. Four months ago I was just happy if I could get that same pair of pants fastened.

I started Weight Watchers in October. (Well, let me be truthful. I went to three meetings under a no registration fee promotion, got all of the information and tools, and then haven't been back since.) Over the last 3 months I have lost 18 pounds. I'm still not down to my pre-three-kids weight and I still have 34 pounds to go to hit my goal weight, which also happens to be my high school graduation weight, but it is a start. I never thought it would go so quickly or so easily. I still have really bad days and weeks when I only lose 1/2 a pound instead of the standard 2 or 3 pounds a week but overall it is going great. I was really worried about what two days of Thanksgiving feasting would do to me, but I ended up losing 3 pounds that week in spite of the holiday. I feel like I have really accomplished something. Something I never thought I would be able to do.

So I did a little test when I got home last night. I left my jeans buttoned and zipped and pulled them right off, no problem! I know I have never done that. Then I got out an old pair of jeans and tried them on. I've been terrified to do that so far, but last night I found the courage to give it a shot. Sure enough they buttoned right up. Hooray! I guess all of the salad and rice cakes and water (ugh!) has been worth it. My goal is to lose 8 more pounds before Christmas. That way when family and friends that I haven't seen in several months see me again it will be a big old 26 pound shock!

No comments: