Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bookless and Bored


I'm between books. I hate that.

I just finished The Grapes of Wrath (read my review here) and my next two books haven't come in from the library yet. In an effort to be more financially responsible and have fewer material possessions I do not have any books in my home that I have not read. And I'm not a re-reader.

So that means that my few moments of peace and down time are filled with TV. Yuck! There really isn't much on that I want to watch and sometimes I just feel like reading anyway, even if there is an interesting show on TV.

So what's a person to do?

Laundry. Dishes. Scrapbooking. Sewing. Bathroom cleaning. Dog bathing.

Yeah, yeah. Besides all that.

Read blogs!

Yep, I've found an awesome romance novel on a blog to read. The writing is excellent and it is just full of cliffhangers at the end of each episode. Even better....it is a true story. You've gotta love that.

For many of you this will come as no surprise because this is probably one of the most widely read blogs on the planet, but for those of you who are a little late to the game (like me apparently) here is the scoop.

The Pioneer Woman, in honor of their 11th anniversary last year, wrote an entire series of posts about her relationship with her husband. From the first moment they met until.......well I don't know when, becasue I haven't finished it, yet. It is a hilarious and touching story about a city girl on her way from LA to Chicago to continue her high powered law degree who unexpectedly falls madly in love with a cowboy. A real life working cowboy. With a ranch and everything. There is a dog death, an obsessive ex-boyfriend, a lot of cows, a semi-truck, a car wreck and a heap of huggin' and kissin'. And get this.....the series is entitled, "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels". Isn't that cute?

Ree (the PW herself) has been writing posts in the series sporadically for a year. Lucky for me there are dozens of them already so I don't have to sit on pins and needles and wait for the next one to show up like her daily readers did. Judging by their comments they were getting a little obsessive themselves as they begged for another installment that would answer all of their burning questions. (Oh my goodness! This is a soap opera isn't it? Only without the amnesia and long lost children...at least so far. Oh well, I like it and I'm gonna keep reading it!)

A friend had told me how exciting the series was but I had never taken time to read it until just the other night when I was out of reading material. I laid in bed with Brian's laptop for two hours and did nothing but read those old posts. I loved it! I didn't want to stop and go to bed (when he got home from the Elder's meeting at 11:45 pm!!!!!, but that's another topic). Now I can't wait for nap time today so that I can see what happens now that Ree has wrecked her car while giving her future mother-in-law a ride to a cattle drive. Did I mention it is the first time they have ever met each other? Yeah, I told you it was funny.

Click over and read a few episodes.....but make sure you have plenty of time because you won't want to put this book down.......er.....navigate away from this page.....you know what I mean.

LUCKY YOU! THERE IS A BRAND NEW POST IN THE SERIES UP TODAY!!!! WOO HOO!!

Is 8:30 too early for nap time?

For more great tips check out Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.
BTW: If you are interested in joining me in a book discussion blog check out this post.

1 comment:

Totallyscrappy said...

You gotta love the Pioneer Woman. I love the title.