Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Service Project

I'm always looking for ways to teach the kids about serving others. I didn't have to look far when I stopped to drop off our recyclables at the dumpster last week.


The sign on the side of the dumpster says this....


And yet the people who took the time to rinse, sort and bag their hundreds of soda bottles, water bottles and milk jugs couldn't take the time to actually put them in the dumpster. There were five bags of plastics laying on the ground.


So I went home and got the whole gang to come help me get them all into their proper compartment in the dumpster.

Everybody joined in the fun and it took us no time at all to get the ground around the dumpster all cleaned up.


Despite being left with the burning desire to wash our hands 10 times in a row....I think we all felt good about helping the environment and our own local Mt. Dew addict...whoever he may be.

5 comments:

CZ said...

Thanks for doing that for our city and environment. It seems nearly EVERY time I drop off recycling, there are full plastic bags on the ground!

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

How wonderful of you and your family to do that!

Munchkins and Music said...

You are a great mom for thinking of this! I really like that you are always looking for ways to teach your kids about serving others. I think I needed to read your post today... :)

MediMonsters said...

Wonderful!!!

Jill said...

Such a good idea. You are a very good mom for this and lots of other reasons. :-)